Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Think on These Things: Greatfulness Leads to Happiness

It's almost Thanksgiving here in the USA. The "I'm thankful for..." statuses abound on Facebook, in church, my children are learning that a thankful heart is a happy heart, and I am encouraging them to think of things THEY can do for others BEFORE they think of what everyone else can get them for Christmas.

This is a great way to kick off the holidays, but how greater still would it be if we could remember to do this through out the year?

There was time in my life of depression. Real, full blown, Postpartum Depression. I would like to say that I just thought my way happy but I didn't. I was one of the people that needed medical help to get that emotional balance again. I'm in no way implying that those with serious issues such as this should just "get over it and quit being ungrateful" (I actually had someone who did not really understand say that to me). Yet, for the everyday kind of blues and doldrums, an easy way to feel better is to look around you and find things in your life to be grateful for.

Philippians 4:8-9 says it this way: Finally, Brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy- think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me- put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

This applies to every area of your life. Feeling financially trapped? Look around at what you have or what you CAN do, and be thankful. Extra sick-of-it when dealing with the kids or spouse? Think of all the things that are lovely or praiseworthy about them (we all need our loved ones to look beyond our faults and see something excellent about us). Is your heart aching because you have a deep wish only to see it go unfulfilled? What do you already have in your life that brings you pleasure?

There are so many people in this world in much worse situations than our own. Do your children have to forage in the dump for items to sell just so they can eat that day? Likely not. Is your house mearly a lean-to of cobbled together scraps of metal and wood with a dirt floor? Likely not. There are still very simple things that these people are grateful for. How much more thankful should WE be?

One of my favorite blogs (Tea Rose Home) is hosting a giveaway... nothing new to the blogging world. The hitch is, you must leave a comment on something you are thankful for. What a great idea!

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all take the time at least once a day to think of how blessed we are? What are YOU thankful for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment