Friday, February 11, 2011

Fabric Stained Glass: Faux Stained Glass Wall Hanging

Another project for my Pay it Forward 2011. I love the beautiful Faux Stained Glass Wall Hangings I've seen. My mother has made some beautiful ones the "right" way with the black bias tape leading and everything.

For my first attempt, I thought I would try a pot holder size and I knew just the picture I wanted.


Luckily, I found this great instructional video from Details By Diane. She make is to easy!



1.) So. First things first. I found a free stained glass pattern online (if you would like to make a regular size wall hanging Diane sells patterns on her website). Then I traced my pieces onto the fusible backing.







2.) I cut out the pieces and ironed them onto the fabric. **Hint: If you trace the pieces that will be the same color all in one group you can save time by cutting around the whole group instead of the individual pieces.


3.) Arrange the pieces on the Black Background.







4.) When everything is where it should be peel off the backing paper and iron them down.



5.) For this particular pattern, I cut around the circle and cut a back fabric and batting. I also made a small tube for a hanging loop.



6.) Pin the layers as follows: Batting, then Backing Right-Side Up, then the Stained Glass piece Right-Side Down. Curve the tube and tuck it in between the backing fabric and the stained glass piece, matching the edges.









7.) Stitch around the edge leaving an opening for turning.



8.) Turn right-side out and press.



I know just who I will give this to! It's so fun and easy, you really should make one for yourself.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! This is so pretty and there is so much you can do with this. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it´s wonderfull! I think I will done that in the next time. Thank you for sharing.
    Greetings, Marita

    ReplyDelete